Trash the Suit: A New Tradition for Gay Grooms
Ritchie and Will’s Tulum, Mexico wedding was a glorious rustic surf-side affair. Their photographer, Jacquie Lew of Photo Philosophies, introduced the idea of a “trash the suit” photo shoot to the two grooms. We love it because it’s a new tradition for gay couples that’s pioneering unchartered territory. “I felt like the traditional ‘trash the dress’ [photo shoot] is geared only toward females and focused on the brides,” Lew tells Equally Wed. “I thought, ‘Well, why do the girls get to have all the fun?’ and so I proposed the idea to Ritchie and Will, who thought it was an awesome idea. Knowing we would do some exploring after the wedding together—Ritchie and Will became such good friends to me—we thought the perfect place to do the ‘trash the suit’ was Xel Ha, which technically is a waterpark but more like acres of forest and and lakes,rivers and waterfalls. I wanted them to have a totally tropical feel. We got lucky that day in a way because it poured on us, but we also got sunshine too.”
See Will and Ritchie’s gorgeous Real Wedding feature here.
Photos: Jacquie Lew | Photo Philosophies
Kirsten Ott Palladino is an award-winning editor and writer, as well as the author of the wedding planning book for LGBTQ couples, EQUALLY WED (Seal Press/Hachette Book Group, May 2017). She’s the co-founder and editorial director of Equally Wed, the world’s leading digital LGBTQ wedding magazine, as well as Equally Wed Pro, the LGBTQ+ inclusive certification course and educational platform. Palladino has been profiled on CNN and Forbes and in The New York Times. Her work has appeared in Entrepreneur magazine, ARTNews magazine, Art & Antiques magazine, The Knot, Executive Traveler magazine, the Huffington Post, and more. She was recognized as one of Glamour magazine's Hometown Heroes for 2015. Palladino has an open door communications policy on Twitter at @kirstenop and Facebook at fb.com/kirstenpalladino.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
Listen to Kirsten & Maria, Equally Wed founders, on the The Wedding Biz podcast.
- Why Naples is a great place for LGBTQ+ weddings and honeymoons
- Inclusivity is a wedding priority reveals The Knot’s Real Weddings Study
- Carefree bohemian beach wedding in Pensacola, Florida
- Nautical summer beach wedding with Seinfeld theme
- Waterfront brewery elopement at The Piermont in Babylon, New York
- Whimsical, rustic waterfront wedding in San Diego, California
- This is the history behind the traditional wedding gift rules you’ve heard
- Rustic mountain wedding at The Red Barn at Hampshire College
- Small summer destination wedding in Perth, Western Australia
- Epic spring Garden of the Gods elopement with dog attendants