Trash the Suit: A New Tradition for Gay Grooms
Ritchie and Will’s Tulum, Mexico wedding was a glorious rustic surf-side affair. Their photographer, Jacquie Lew of Photo Philosophies, introduced the idea of a “trash the suit” photo shoot to the two grooms. We love it because it’s a new tradition for gay couples that’s pioneering unchartered territory. “I felt like the traditional ‘trash the dress’ [photo shoot] is geared only toward females and focused on the brides,” Lew tells Equally Wed. “I thought, ‘Well, why do the girls get to have all the fun?’ and so I proposed the idea to Ritchie and Will, who thought it was an awesome idea. Knowing we would do some exploring after the wedding together—Ritchie and Will became such good friends to me—we thought the perfect place to do the ‘trash the suit’ was Xel Ha, which technically is a waterpark but more like acres of forest and and lakes,rivers and waterfalls. I wanted them to have a totally tropical feel. We got lucky that day in a way because it poured on us, but we also got sunshine too.”
See Will and Ritchie’s gorgeous Real Wedding feature here.
Photos: Jacquie Lew | Photo Philosophies
Kirsten Ott Palladino
Kirsten Ott Palladino is an award-winning editor, writer, speaker and educator, as well as the author of the first gender-neutral wedding planning book for LGBTQ+ couples, EQUALLY WED: THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO PLANNING YOUR LGBTQ+ WEDDING (Seal Press). She’s the co-founder and editorial director of Equally Wed, the world’s leading digital LGBTQ+ wedding magazine, as well as Equally Wed Pro, the LGBTQ+ inclusive certification course and educational platform. Palladino has been profiled on CNN, NPR and Forbes and in The New York Times. Her work has appeared in Washington Post, Entrepreneur magazine, ARTNews magazine, Art & Antiques magazine, The Knot, Executive Traveler magazine, the Huffington Post, and more. She was recognized as one of Glamour magazine's Hometown Heroes for 2015.
Comments are closed.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts
- Engagement session at Matheson Hammock Park in Miami, FL