Elaine + Annabeth: An Episcopal Lesbian Church Wedding in Atlanta
Elaine and Annabeth are a devoted Atlanta couple who have been together more than 30 years. When the Episcopal Church recently decided to allow same-sex marriages, even in states where the marriages were not legally recognized, the couple jumped at the chance to make their love official. Elaine and Annabeth are long-standing and well-loved members of the St. Luke’s church community, were asked to be the first same-sex couple married in this historic Atlanta church. To have a lesbian church wedding in Atlanta, Georgia, in 2013 before marriage equality was the law of the land was a remarkable feat, and the women were honored that their wedding was the impetus for this historic day.
FROM THE COUPLE:
OVERALL VIBE OF THE DAY: Ecstatic on all parts. We were delighted that our beloved church had come to the place of developing a formal and official liturgy for gay couples, and to our surprise and delight, the entire congregation seemed to be deeply thrilled and proud to be taking part in this historic event in our church.
FAVORITE PARTS: The total delight at walking down that aisle, in that beloved church, with this astonishing collection of friends, family and colleagues, as well as fellow church members, on the arm of Elaine’s beloved Uncle Joe. And the confetti of fallen white petals from the trees in the church driveway as we were driven away in the “love car,” and the rainbow in the sky as we arrived home.
SPECIAL TOUCHES: Using many types of flowers to get the closest possible look of the rainbow colors.
MUSIC: Romantic oldies, some jazz, and some feminist / folk pieces.
PHOTOGRAPHER: Amanda Summerlin
VIDEOGRAPHER: Troy Patton | CTL Production
OFFICIANTS: Reverend Dan Matthews Jr. and Reverend Liz Schellingerhoudt
MUSIC: Charles Higgs, Renee Wilson-Wicker
VENUE: St. Luke’s Episcopal Church
CATERER: Roadshows Catering
CAKE: O’ How Sweet
TUXEDO RENTAL: Men’s Wearhouse
FLOWERS: Church members Mary Graham, Ruth Claiborne, John McGee Divine
JEWELERS: Topaz Gallery (artist Conni Mainne); Geode
INVITATIONS: Greenvelope and Zazzle
Kirsten Ott Palladino
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot