Elaine + Annabeth: An Episcopal Lesbian Church Wedding in Atlanta
Elaine and Annabeth are a devoted Atlanta couple who have been together more than 30 years. When the Episcopal Church recently decided to allow same-sex marriages, even in states where the marriages were not legally recognized, the couple jumped at the chance to make their love official. Elaine and Annabeth are long-standing and well-loved members of the St. Luke’s church community, were asked to be the first same-sex couple married in this historic Atlanta church. To have a lesbian church wedding in Atlanta, Georgia, in 2013 before marriage equality was the law of the land was a remarkable feat, and the women were honored that their wedding was the impetus for this historic day.
FROM THE COUPLE:
OVERALL VIBE OF THE DAY: Ecstatic on all parts. We were delighted that our beloved church had come to the place of developing a formal and official liturgy for gay couples, and to our surprise and delight, the entire congregation seemed to be deeply thrilled and proud to be taking part in this historic event in our church.
FAVORITE PARTS: The total delight at walking down that aisle, in that beloved church, with this astonishing collection of friends, family and colleagues, as well as fellow church members, on the arm of Elaine’s beloved Uncle Joe. And the confetti of fallen white petals from the trees in the church driveway as we were driven away in the “love car,” and the rainbow in the sky as we arrived home.
SPECIAL TOUCHES: Using many types of flowers to get the closest possible look of the rainbow colors.
MUSIC: Romantic oldies, some jazz, and some feminist / folk pieces.
PHOTOGRAPHER: Amanda Summerlin
VIDEOGRAPHER: Troy Patton | CTL Production
OFFICIANTS: Reverend Dan Matthews Jr. and Reverend Liz Schellingerhoudt
MUSIC: Charles Higgs, Renee Wilson-Wicker
VENUE: St. Luke’s Episcopal Church
CATERER: Roadshows Catering
CAKE: O’ How Sweet
TUXEDO RENTAL: Men’s Wearhouse
FLOWERS: Church members Mary Graham, Ruth Claiborne, John McGee Divine
JEWELERS: Topaz Gallery (artist Conni Mainne); Geode
INVITATIONS: Greenvelope and Zazzle
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- American Psychological Association says singular ‘they’ now the standard for scholarly writing
- Roxane Gay and Debbie Millman are officially engaged
- Black gothic wedding with skulls, swords and magic
- This mom’s wedding speech will make you cry in the best way
- Community was at the heart of this floral summer wedding
- Romantic engagement photos on the beach in Kauai, Hawaii
- Rustic orange and yellow autumn wedding in Norfolk, Massachusetts
- Home anniversary photos to celebrate one year of marriage
- Wild child Southwest wedding at Rimrock Ranch in Pioneertown, California
- Why you should absolutely do a post-wedding photo shoot