Malakia and Donika’s sophisticated, fun wedding at the Stone Ridge Event Center in Stone Mountain, Georgia, was accented by Malakia’s red wedding dress and veil and Donika’s cream tuxedo with intricate black detailing. The couple incorporated gold details into their special day, including an elegant gold and cream wedding cake with a red floral decoration.
How did you meet?
We met through a mutual acquaintance.
Tell us about your first date.
For our first date, we decided to travel to Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, Georgia. We walked the gardens, listened to a live band and laughed, and talked the entire day; there was never a dull moment. This was the beginning of a great friendship and our love for travel.
Tell us about the proposal.
We had a big fight the weekend before Donika proposed because she said, in front of our friends, that marriage was not what she wanted. Needless to say, the joke was on me because our friends knew she was planning a proposal. On August 9, 2016, we attended a taping our favorite show, Family Feud, and invited my mother and our friends. Afterward, we had dinner at Hudson Grill in downtown Atlanta and Donika got on one knee and asked for in my hand in marriage. Everyone was in on it! —Malakia, one half of the couple
Photographer: Andre Brown Photography
Event Venue: Stone Ridge Event Center
Event Planner: cTaylorMade ent
Cake: Cakes By LaMeeka
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Beautifully gothic Texas wedding with creative details
- Fortune Feimster marries Jacquelyn Smith in intimate beach wedding
- How to create an inclusive wedding for hearing-impaired and deaf guests
- Pope Francis endorses civil unions for same-sex couples
- Brian + Brett: Hudson Valley garden wedding with shades of purple
- 5 reasons to hire a gay photographer for your LGBTQ+ wedding
- PFLAG + OREO debut Proud Parent film and rainbow cookies
- Supreme Court justices set stage to end marriage equality
- Love Conquers All wedding giveaway theme revealed: Black is Queen
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors