Malakia and Donika’s sophisticated, fun wedding at the Stone Ridge Event Center in Stone Mountain, Georgia, was accented by Malakia’s red wedding dress and veil and Donika’s cream tuxedo with intricate black detailing. The couple incorporated gold details into their special day, including an elegant gold and cream wedding cake with a red floral decoration.
How did you meet?
We met through a mutual acquaintance.
Tell us about your first date.
For our first date, we decided to travel to Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, Georgia. We walked the gardens, listened to a live band and laughed, and talked the entire day; there was never a dull moment. This was the beginning of a great friendship and our love for travel.
Tell us about the proposal.
We had a big fight the weekend before Donika proposed because she said, in front of our friends, that marriage was not what she wanted. Needless to say, the joke was on me because our friends knew she was planning a proposal. On August 9, 2016, we attended a taping our favorite show, Family Feud, and invited my mother and our friends. Afterward, we had dinner at Hudson Grill in downtown Atlanta and Donika got on one knee and asked for in my hand in marriage. Everyone was in on it! —Malakia, one half of the couple
Photographer: Andre Brown Photography
Event Venue: Stone Ridge Event Center
Event Planner: cTaylorMade ent
Cake: Cakes By LaMeeka
Alaina Leary Lavoie
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- A higher love: Say I do with a view at OUE Skyspace LA
- Everything you need to know about planning your LGBTQ+ honeymoon
- How to choose a wedding venue
- They is 2019’s word of the year
- National groups blast GOP federal LGBTQ rights bill as permitting ‘licenses to discriminate’ by wedding vendors, religious groups
- Romantic engagement photos at Milwaukee Central Public Library
- This surprise flash mob dance party proposal will move you to tears
- Pantone reveals classic blue as its 2020 Color of the Year
- The Knot, Pinterest and Zola will stop promoting plantation weddings
- TikTok is limiting the reach of LGBTQ+, disabled and fat people’s videos