Founder’s favorites: Valentine’s Day gift ideas
We’re sweet on love around here at EW HQ. It’s why we started a wedding magazine actually: to celebrate love. And on Valentine’s Day, we double-down on all the hearts and mushy feels. If you’re the same way—or are with someone who is—here are a few of my favorite Valentine’s Day gift ideas to celebrate love.
HEART OF GOLD
The interlocking hearts gold-plated brass necklace from Maison Miru’s new bridal collection caught my eye both for its delicate and darling appeal, as well as its price: $84. (Also a sweet gift for your attendants!)
HUGS AND KISSES
Whether it’s for romantic love or the appreciation of a good friend, I adore my XO bracelet from Maison Miru, which I love glancing at while I work on my computer all day. This is a super sweet gift if you’re in the early stages of dating (and yet prematurely reading a wedding magazine for queer folks, which I am totally not judging you for because had there been an Equally Wed around when I was hoping for a marriage proposal, I would have been perusing it too).
RED WINE: FOR PASSIONATE DRINKERS
Also enjoyable at the desk (or night, if you’re one of those responsible drinker types) is a new favorite of mine from Josh Cellars. The cabernet sauvignon packs in all the flavors I love in each decadent drop: black currant, blackberry, roasted almonds, vanilla and hazelnuts, finishing long with fine, firm tannins. Usually between $12 and $14 a bottle.
CHOCOLATE: THE HEART-FRIENDLY FOOD
As a former food editor, I’ve enjoyed my fair share of fine chocolate. And then I had the best in my life. The kind that made me all starry eyed. It’s at Woodhouse Chocolate, and I discovered them on a trip out to St. Helena, California (which, by the way, is a dreamboat wedding destination). This shop delivers its chocolates, too, so you can order them from anywhere in the United States. Do not be deterred by the price. The box pictured is 12 pieces and $30, but worth every single cent for genuine chocolate lovers.
WEDDING PLANNING FOR THE LGBTQ+ CROWD
Shameless plug, of course. Just expect these every few days from me when this pretty baby is available wherever books are sold on May 31, 2017, from Seal Press. You can preorder Equally Wed: The Ultimate Guide to Planning your LGBTQ+ Wedding now from Charis Books and More, the nation’s oldest feminist bookstore and the location of my Atlanta book launch party (deets to come). This is the ultimate Valentine’s Day gift for anyone engaged or thinking of getting engaged or a wedding planner or just a really nice person who believes in marriage equality. If you like my page on Facebook and send me a message with a photo of your receipt, I will gladly send an autographed bookplate for the book.
PARTY IN A BOX
My masculine-leaning wife is my Italian stallion. She’s basically a sexy beast who’s totally going to go red when she sees this. But alas, I am a truth-telling journalist, so I want you, dear readers, to know just how much I love her in TomboyX boxer briefs. And she loves them too. They’re ultra comfortable and so gender-neutral. Pictured is one of the brand’s latest products with cleverly designed king of hearts all over. Completely worth the $31.
This $35 infographic beer poster at Uncommon Goods serves up a heady brew of history, graphic design and spirited fun. Pairs well with a 6-pack of your darling’s favorite brew, of course.
Kirsten Ott Palladino
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Stunning adventure elopement at Oregon’s Mt. Hood
- Youtuber Cammie Scott proposes to girlfriend in epic ode to 10 Things I Hate About You
- 5 of our favorite LGBTQ celebrity engagements of 2021
- Romantic Zoom wedding eight years in the making
- Seaside South Carolina proposal on horseback
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca