Ethan + Jessica: an outdoor summer wedding in New York
Ethan Messere and Jessica Kornhoff-Messere reside in Decatur, Ga. After three years together, the sweethearts made the trek north to marry beside a gorgeous red barn at The Fallbrook Barn and Lodge in Oswego, New York for a summer wedding.
DETAILS WE LOVE
A bright color palette of navy blue, Tiffany blue, yellow and green; a vintage blue car; the bride’s birdcage veil; the love-drunk grin on the groom; their note to wedding guests that in lieu of wedding favors, the lesbian bride and transgender groom instead made a donation to the HRC because without them, “our marriage would not be possible,” and the tranquil pond.
Ethan and Jessica’s first dance song: “The Way I Am” by Ingrid Michaelson
FROM THE COUPLE
Our wedding was the coolest gathering of our wonderfully diverse friends and family. We really wanted the wedding to be beautiful and just a whole lot of fun – like tap a keg and play yard games kind of fun. We were lucky enough to have a really gorgeous backdrop on a nature preserve in upstate New York and a rain-free day (the only rain-free day in July, it seems like). As two people whose careers are in the arts, it was really to be able to showcase our amazingly talented friends, as well. The ceremony music was arranged by Jessica and performed by our musician-friends, our cake topper was handmade by a transgender friend, and one of Ethan’s childhood friends customized Jessica’s dress. With all of our friends’ generous contributions we were able to save quite a bit of money for our travels from Georgia to New York. Since we were getting married out of state, we decided to DIY our reception with tied fabric on twine and old windowpanes that had taped pictures from our engagement shoot. As a result we were able to put more money into our honeymoon to Prince Edward Island, Canada. It was the best day ever for us and we felt so lucky to be joined by so many people who support our lives.
Photographer: Heidi Geldhauser, Our Labor of Love
Wedding venue: The Fallbrook Barn and Lodge, Oswego, NY
Cake: Bake Outside the Box by Aydian Dowling
Music: Jimmel Dumas “DJ Jazzy Jimmel”
Officiant: Dr. Faughn Adams
Hair and makeup: Port City Day Spa by Talisa Perez
Attire (for both): Jessica: Dress made by Victoria Manieri, Ethan’s suit: Express
Day-of Coordinator: Erin Cassel
This article was first published in Oct. 2013, and was updated in June 2015.
Kirsten Ott Palladino
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Pantone announces its 2023 color of the year
- Emily, Willie and Sarah’s DIY throuple wedding at the Inn on the Russian River in Monte Rio, California
- 10 things you need to create that perfect rainbow wedding
- Senate advances Respect for Marriage Act to protect recognition of marriage equality
- 10 ways to use burnt orange in your wedding
- Tam and Yiyun’s intimate summer wedding at Folktale Winery and Vineyards in Carmel Valley, California
- Stefany and Britt’s queer, nonbinary wedding at the Lace House in Columbia, South Carolina
- Priscilla and Jamesa’s fall wedding in Nashville, Tennessee, featured harvest hues of gold, burnt orange, terracotta rust and dusty rose
- Lindsey and Molly’s Christian wedding in New Bern, North Carolina, showcased their two dogs and had a dried flower confetti send-off
- Alyssa and Holly’s Colorado adventure session in Rocky Mountain National Park
- LGBTQ+ Inclusive and Affirming Wedding Venue Spotlight: Filoli
- Halle and Kayden’s Mount Rainier National Park Destination Wedding