Ethan + Jessica: an outdoor summer wedding in New York
Ethan Messere and Jessica Kornhoff-Messere reside in Decatur, Ga. After three years together, the sweethearts made the trek north to marry beside a gorgeous red barn at The Fallbrook Barn and Lodge in Oswego, New York for a summer wedding.
DETAILS WE LOVE
A bright color palette of navy blue, Tiffany blue, yellow and green; a vintage blue car; the bride’s birdcage veil; the love-drunk grin on the groom; their note to wedding guests that in lieu of wedding favors, the lesbian bride and transgender groom instead made a donation to the HRC because without them, “our marriage would not be possible,” and the tranquil pond.
Ethan and Jessica’s first dance song: “The Way I Am” by Ingrid Michaelson
FROM THE COUPLE
Our wedding was the coolest gathering of our wonderfully diverse friends and family. We really wanted the wedding to be beautiful and just a whole lot of fun – like tap a keg and play yard games kind of fun. We were lucky enough to have a really gorgeous backdrop on a nature preserve in upstate New York and a rain-free day (the only rain-free day in July, it seems like). As two people whose careers are in the arts, it was really to be able to showcase our amazingly talented friends, as well. The ceremony music was arranged by Jessica and performed by our musician-friends, our cake topper was handmade by a transgender friend, and one of Ethan’s childhood friends customized Jessica’s dress. With all of our friends’ generous contributions we were able to save quite a bit of money for our travels from Georgia to New York. Since we were getting married out of state, we decided to DIY our reception with tied fabric on twine and old windowpanes that had taped pictures from our engagement shoot. As a result we were able to put more money into our honeymoon to Prince Edward Island, Canada. It was the best day ever for us and we felt so lucky to be joined by so many people who support our lives.
Photographer: Heidi Geldhauser, Our Labor of Love
Wedding venue: The Fallbrook Barn and Lodge, Oswego, NY
Cake: Bake Outside the Box by Aydian Dowling
Music: Jimmel Dumas “DJ Jazzy Jimmel”
Officiant: Dr. Faughn Adams
Hair and makeup: Port City Day Spa by Talisa Perez
Attire (for both): Jessica: Dress made by Victoria Manieri, Ethan’s suit: Express
Day-of Coordinator: Erin Cassel
This article was first published in Oct. 2013, and was updated in June 2015.
Kirsten Ott Palladino
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married